GENERAL SUMMARY: The Senior Mechanical Engineer - Centrifugal Pumps ("SME-CP") is responsible for designing, developing, implementing, and analyzing the Company's highly technical products especially centrifugal pumps. The SME-CP recommends alterations to development and offers new design techniques in order to improve the reliability of new and existing products and procedures. The SME-CP relies heavily on his/her education, experience, and judgment to plan and accomplish goals through the performance of a variety of complicated tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Spends substantial time developing new products. This duty includes gathering information and requirements from customers, working with other company staff and vendors, and applying education and experience to formulate optimal solutions. Creates and prepares Conceptual and Progress Reports.
2. Develops and then performs tests on first articles, analyzes findings from test and qualification pumps, and writes reports to summarize findings. Independently manages and resolves vendors' technical and delivery issues.
3. Design calculations, solid modeling, and drafting are integral duties. Provides ongoing support of products throughout their lifecycle.
4. Assists the repair department by diagnosing returned pumps to determine the root cause of failure. This involves tear down, evaluation of returned pumps, and analyzing data to determine the cause of failure.
5. Provides existing product support. This duty often arises as a result of failed diagnosis in the repair department. When inadequacies or unforeseen issues are found in returned pumps, the SME-CP must be able to formulate a solution, test, and then implement. This can involve testing, engineering calculations, drafting, working with vendors, and cooperation with production staff.
6. This role requires technical data exchange and communication with customers on a regular basis.
7. Long term testing. This duty involves design of long term test stands, monitoring their status, maintenance, and evaluating results.
8. Performs related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of mechanical engineering concepts and hydraulic principles including stresses, materials, fluids, and thermodynamics.
2. Knowledge of solid modeling and standard drafting procedures.
3. Ability to take a set of requirements for a new product especially centrifugal pumps and produce a viable solution in terms of performance, cost, reliability, and durability with little or no guidance required.
4. Project management skills, i.e., being able to plan and schedule the development of a product, taking into account all required steps.
5. Ability to diagnose and solve mechanical and hydraulic problems.
6. Skilled at computer software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer.
7. CAD experience required.
8. Experience in using Conceptualized Fluid Dynamics and Computer Aided Engineering tools is favorably considered.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Requires a BS Mechanical Engineering.
2. PE preferred but not required.
3. 3+ years of centrifugal pump design experience strongly desired.
4. 10+ years mechanical engineering experience is required.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers