compensation: Starting at 55k employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Sustained and inspired by their relationship with God and one another, the mission of the Sisters of Mercy is to respond with vision and compassion to the needs of people who are poor, sick, and uneducated. This mission serves as a motivational force in the day-to-day activities of employees of the Mid-Atlantic Community as they extend compassion and mercy to others, practice and encourage social justice, and strive to live mercifully.
The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for the day-to-day transactional operation of the HR function in a geographical region and provides support to the Regional Directors of Human Resources and Payroll Managers in the areas of benefits administration, including health and welfare insurance programs and workers compensation insurance, recruitment and onboarding, employee relations, administration, and compliance.
• Serves as a point person for employee questions.
• Interacts with campus site managers and staff regarding employee relations issues; develops practices that establish and continue positive working relationships and a high level of morale. Advises on and investigates employee relations issues. Assists in the administration of performance management processes.
• Keeps Regional HR Director apprised of all employee relations activities or concerns.
• Stays abreast of current trends, and regulatory and compliance issues. Recommends changes to policies or processes as a result of changes to employment laws.
• Counsels managers on policy interpretation and legal awareness. Works with campus site managers to ensure policies and procedures are effectively and consistently administered.
• Assists managers with special subject areas (interviewing, conflict management, employee relations, managing performance expectations, FLSA, FMLA, etc.)
• Posts job ads internally and externally and organizes resumes and job applications.
• Conducts phone screens, schedules job interviews, and assists management in the interview process.
• Ensures background checks, reference checks, and drug screens are completed prior to employee start dates.
• Sets up new employee files.
• Oversees the completion of all new hire documentation.
• Onboards new employees to the organization (prepare and order photo ID badge, review employee handbook, review job descriptions, etc.)
• Maintains current HR files and databases.
• Updates and maintains employee benefits, employment status, and similar records in HRIS system.
• Assists management with preparation of corrective actions and acts as witness in corrective action meetings.
• Maintains records related to grievances, performance reviews, and disciplinary actions.
• Performs file audits (such as I-9 and job descriptions) to ensure that all required employee documentation is collected and maintained.
• Completes termination paperwork and performs exit interviews.
• Purges terminated files according to record retention standards.
• Audits professional licenses for expiration dates; notifies supervisors and employees of pending expirations. Copy and file all updated licenses.
• Participates in monthly communication forums as the HR presence; prepares agenda and records minutes; keeps a record of all meetings.
• Consults with and advises employees on eligibility, provisions, and other matters related to benefits.
• Acts as a resource for staff experiencing benefits/claims issues or for completion of forms. Connects employees to the appropriate benefit support channel to resolve issues.
• Provides renewal information to broker on an annual basis in collaboration with Regional Director of Human Resources.
• Coordinates the open enrollment process for employees. Assists with reviews and coordination of employee communication materials in collaboration with the Director of Human Resources.
• Coordinates new employee orientation to the benefit programs, including retirement plans.
• Assists employees with benefits enrollment process in HRIS system as needed.
• Onboard employees to and offboard employees from benefit programs.
• Ensures appropriate notifications sent in a timely manner to meet all regulatory requirements.
• Liaison to Flex Spending/COBRA administrator and retirement plan administrator.
• In collaboration with the Director of Human Resources continually develops HRIS information to enhance technology and reporting capabilities of employee information.
• Acts as point of contact for employee workers' compensation claims. Reports claim to carrier and assists with scheduling visits to workers compensation physician.
• Responds to unemployment claims and completes required forms and questionnaires.
• Ensures that labor law posters are up to date and posted in all necessary locations.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business, or a related field; or equivalent education and training.
- 3 to 5 years’ Human Resources experience in multi-state environment (CA in particular), to include recruitment, employee selection, onboarding, employee relations, training, compliance, and benefits administration.
- Knowledge and proficiency in CA specific employment laws.
- Experienced in HRIS/automated payroll systems; computer proficiency (Office 365).
- Ability to travel between campuses regularly
- Bilingual – English/Spanish required
- Long term care experience
- Non-profit or religious experience
- PHR or CP certification
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Activity: Carrying; Standing; Twisting; Sitting; Bending; Stooping; Lifting; Grasping; Walking:
Writing; Filing: Operating computer keyboard; Communicating; Using Telephone; Copiers; Fax Machines; Time Clock and other office equipment. Exposure to computer screens for long periods of time.
Physical Requirements: Push; Pull; Lift or carry up to as much as 20 pounds occasionally; considerable walking, standing, and sitting. Must be able to file documents.
Visual/audible Acuity Requirements: Must be able to read and distinguish small print; comprehend, perform complex calculations; perform complex analysis; must have depth perception and be able to distinguish basic colors; must be able to distinguish normal sounds with some background noise; must be able to speak clearly and make him or herself understood while also understanding others using the English language.
- Adept at problem-solving, including being able to identify issues and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Demonstrates ability to handle confidential information and situations
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, both written and orally, with employees, members of the HR management team, and in group presentations and meetings
- Ability to effectively read and interpret information, present numerical data in a resourceful manner, and skillfully gather and analyze information
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities as to use time efficiently
- Must be organized, accurate, thorough, and able to monitor work for quality
- Reliable, dependable, and mature.
- Bilingual English/Spanish
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers