The Department of Fish and Wildlife's Office of Spill Prevention and Response (OSPR) is seeking a motivated individual to work as a Fish and Wildlife Scientific Aid in the Laboratory program located in Rancho Cordova with free parking. Under the supervision of the Senior Environmental Scientist (Supervisory), the Fish and Wildlife Scientific Aid will collect biological samples, and conduct water quality and habitat surveys using standard methodologies to assess the biological, physical and chemical condition of water bodies throughout the State. Duties include assisting with the collection of biological, chemical and physical samples from waterbodies throughout California; compiling information using written and electronic formats; performing the initial processing of benthic macroinvertebrate samples using dissecting microscopes; and assisting with the use of technical field equipment, instrumentation and guides to assess the condition of chemical and habitat parameters at sites.
Location: Out of town surveys throughout California. Base location in Rancho Cordova, CA.
• Must have possession of a valid drivers license.
• Preference will be given to those applicants who have(1) the equivalent to completion of two years of college with a minimum of 10 semester hours in biological or chemistry sciences--or (2) One year of experience in surveying, studying or evaluating fish or wildlife populations, data habitats or users, or working in a chemistry laboratory.
• Candidates should have experience with outdoor field work activities. Employees will be exposed to a variety of outdoor elements like hiking on and off trails and in streams and working in agricultural areas. Sample collection will require rigorous hiking in the backcountry. Exposure may include poison oak, bees, mosquitoes, wildlife, walking on rocks and cobble in creeks, walking in mud, hot, cold, and wet outdoor conditions.
• Must be willing to travel and have a clean driving record. This position requires out of town travel Monday through Thursday every week. Navigation skills are a plus. Camping is often required while working in the field.
• All candidates must be self motivated and able to work independently and as a team to accomplish tasks. After training is complete, employees will be expected to work independently and sometimes without supervision.