Company: Midtown Association (MA)
Position: Safety Assistant (Non-Exempt)
Supervisor: Reports to Clean & Safe Manager
Location: 1401 21st Street, Unit A, Sacramento CA, 95811
Organization: The Midtown Association (MA) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to make Midtown the center for culture, creativity and vibrancy in Sacramento's urban core.
Our Culture: The MA is a small but mighty office of fourteen employees governed by a board of artistic, fast paced and innovative property and business owners. We attract high-performing, highly ethical employees who truly care about their community. Our team works well together because we hold ourselves accountable to strong project management and complement one another's strengths. Our office is a beautiful modern storefront with open air meeting space, natural light, room for bike storage and more than 20 restaurants/coffee shops/bars within two blocks.
Position Summary and Requirements:
The primary role of the Safety Assistant is to assist the Clean & Safe Foreman with homeless outreach, ensure public safety in midtown by being the eyes and ears of the police department, welcoming visitors, directing pedestrians, distributing safety material for outreach, and providing event support as needed.
Assistants should fulfill the tasks assigned to them with attention to detail, speed and a customer service attitude. When tasks are completed, they should be self-directed and find the next important task.
Basic Employment Qualifications:
All candidates should have; two years previous work experience in Social Work or homeless services and/or with a Business District, Trade Association or Downtown organization is preferred. Experience with Word Processing and email programs, the ability to speak and read English, the ability to lift up to 75 pounds, and be able to remain on their feet outdoors for up to 10 hours per day in potentially inclement weather. Position requires riding a patrol bike. All candidates should anticipate pre-employment background checks, driving record checks, and drug screening with the potential for on-going drug screening based on job tasks. High school diploma or GED is required. Reliable transportation is required. Clean DMV driving record.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate an ability to follow detailed routes and schedules as established by Clean & Safe Foreman and respond in a timely manner to all service calls within the PBID boundaries
• Ability to routinely communicate professionally with Police Department, visitors, as well as property and business owners
• Ability to interact with all types of individuals in the community, remain calm under stressful situations with unpredictable individuals, and connect homeless population with Sacramento Steps Forward Navigator
• Assist businesses and property owners with the issuance of Notices of Trespass with the City Police Department
• Pro-actively monitor district hotspots for homeless relocation
• Assist maintenance team members with clean-up of homeless encampments
• Assist maintenance team in breakdown of our Midtown Farmers Market on Saturdays and provide programming assistance as assigned
• Work cooperatively with colleagues, supervisor's administrators and stakeholders
• Demonstrate ethical behavior, and maintain behavior appropriate to performing and accomplishing assigned duties
• Thoroughly document all work activity through Geo-Pal software
• Other duties as assigned
The work environment is located primarily outside and consists of completing tasks involving daily patrols of the district, homeless interaction including move-a-long's and connecting individuals with Navigator assistance, and assisting visitors with questions about Midtown. Additional tasks include assistance with events and removal of homeless encampments. Conditions range from working outside in all types of inclement weather. Some work will involve hazardous and unsanitary conditions. Must be able to work around varying degrees of noise. Interruptions of work are routine. Flexibility and patience are required. Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignments without direct supervision. Must be able to work under stressful conditions.
This is a full time, non-exempt, hourly position at 40 hours per week. Schedule is Monday through Saturday, between the hours between 7am-9pm, with some variations for special events.
Full Time: The Midtown Association has a very generous benefit package after the probationary period; 10 days sick time, 12 days PTO, public holidays, 401k with match, Flex-spend account, Life Insurance, Health Insurance, and Parking.
Requirements for Application:
• Cover Letter and Resume
• DMV Record
• Minimum of two references
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers